I have an amazing recipe to share. My husband actually found this one on vegetarian times and we both give it 5 stars.
Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew (link goes to original recipe on vegetariantimes.com)
30 minutes or fewer
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, diced (¾ cup)
- 1 small onion, diced (1 cup)
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped (½ cup)
- 1 Tbs. whole cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 2 16-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 32-oz. container butternut squash soup, divided
- 1 ½ cups couscous
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Sauté carrot in oil 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Add onion and bell pepper, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes more, or until soft. Stir in cumin seeds and bay leaf.
2. Purée 3/4 cup chickpeas and 3/4 cup butternut squash soup in blender until smooth. Add to carrot mixture along with remaining chickpeas and soup. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Note: The recipe on the site has a picture on the site. I"m not sure what that is a picture of but it is not the picture of the stew. The picture I posted is representative of what two of us got when making this recipe. It's truly a stew and not at all as dry as the picture on the site would lead you to think.
The one modification I made is that I had this with millet, not couscous. Because I had millet at home and I didn't have couscous. It was still amazing. I think it would be just as awesome with couscous and next time may use that if I happen to have it or don't have millet left to cook up. It was SO filling. Perfect if you are trying to eat light. I also had a side of roasted vegetables with it because I'm all reset-afied and think that every meal needs vegetables with it now :) The portions are very generous as well!