Today is the first day of my mashup workout challenge. This week the line up is:
- Asylum 1: Vertical Plyo
- P90x3: The Challenge
- P90x3: MMX
- Insanity: Pure Cardio // 21 Day Fix: Pilates
- P90x3: Eccentric Upper // Yoga (stretch)
I'm pretty excited about this. I have not done MMX or Eccentric Upper yet so it's going to be fun to try a new workout mixed in with ones I know and love and will hurt. Today was Vertical Plyo and it was good to get dumb with Shaun T again. I'm already feeling it a little in my upper back and core so yay! My big goal is to lose enough in the inch department that my clothes are beyond comfortable. I have not gone shopping since I finished Insanity last year in a new size and I'm ready for that to happen again so let's work.
Something I thought about a lot today with regards to this goal was answering the question: What do I do when everything is going in the right direction with my weight? I wrote down 5 things that I really think I need to have as my daily checklist:
- Shakeology: Honestly...this is a HUGE key for me. When I have Shakeology in the morning for breakfast it sets my day up right because it hits my sweet tooth, fills me up, and reminds me of my goals. I'm gonna be 100% transparent here. I went through a time in my life where driving through Chic-Fil-A and picking up a milkshake for breakfast was something I did not regularly...but way to much. Other days I'd go through McDonalds and pick up a smoothie. I love cold shakes for breakfast, end of discussion. So Shakeology is my power tool because (1) it hits that spot with WAY less calories and healthy whole ingredients (2) it fixes my stomach issues (3) and it mentally puts me in the right spot to be healthy all day. It's a lifestyle.
- Snacks: I need to BRING a morning and afternoon snack. And something filling. Egg salad w/ a whole grain cracker or rice. Oatmeal with fruit. Essentially a mini meal, not like a bag of grapes or a little bar. A good bar - a P90x or Protein Crunch bar - those work. But mostly, I need to eat mini meals.
- Salads: I don't like eating salads daily but I have realized that when I have salads daily I am much better in general. I think this again goes to having something filling. Raw veggies fill me up and keep me from overeating. You really can't overeat raw veggies. Really. And raw veggies are fantastic for health so it's a win win.
- Water: this is my biggest struggle. BIGGEST. Because it's not really fun or sexy or delicious. But when I am firing I'm drinking a gallon a day, end of discussion. Right now...there is absolutely no reason I shouldn't be doing this but it's so hard some days to even drink 30 ounces. No lie, in the middle of this I realized I had not had any water in hours and poured myself a glass. But water keeps me full and has so many amazing health benefits!
- Exercise: it's not last because it's least important. It's last because it's my anchor. Shakeology and Exercise bracket health for me. Anyway exercise for me is the cheapest therapy that I could probably ever find. No matter how I feel about my body when I wake up, when I do a workout I feel better. I feel strong. I feel like a fit beasterella and NOBODY can stop me. In addition after a fantastic workout I have a stronger pull towards eating healthy. After you push your butt through a stupid hard workout and realize it's ONLY 500 calories burned...you don't eat a package of 500 calorie cookies without having a second thought about it. It's a mental anchor to help me realize the impact of the foods that I want to eat have on me and how I can erase a workout really quick if I don't check myself.
That's pretty long but I wanted to share. These 5 points are going to be my focus for the month. If these are the power points...I must hit them to reach my goals. I am going to track how I do to these daily and use them as a metric for improvement.